December 15, 2005

High Hopes!

My induction into the world of Rock music happened in my 2nd year, thanks to a certain wingie of mine who liked to think of himself a rock afficionado then. He was huge fan of hard rock, thrash metal! And I was like...wtf?! Till then, i had heard of only pop and had been listening to Back Street Boys and Celine Dion (I still like Celine Dion, mind you!). Well one of the first rock songs he made me listen was 'Estranged' by Guns'n'Roses. I fell in love. He had a semi-acoustic guitar with which he would be standing outside his room, the music system blaring out songs, and he would be imitating Slash!

He was the one who introduced me to Metallica, Dream Theatre and one of my most favourites, Pink Floyd. Well, have you ever felt that you liked a song better every time you heard it? Or you appreciated something better, the more you came across it? Pink Floyd was something like that to me. Coming Back to Life, Comfortably Numb, Brain Damage, Another Brick in the Wall, Shine on you crazy diamond,Sorrow, Wish you were here and finally the song of songs- HIGH HOPES!

I am relatively new to the song, I hadn't known of its existence till my psenti sem at campus, and it was thanx to another crazy bloke in my wing that I got to hear it! Man, I was blown away...as was another friend of mine, and mind you, we were already a little blown thanks to the cheap spirits we get in the desert campus! The song has been written like it was meant to get us into a high, and the guitar lead at the end by Gilmour is one the best I have ever heard in my life! The way the lead takes the listener on a roller coast ride is simply amazing! Mind blowing piece of music! Me and my friend make it a point to listen to this song after every session, the song seems to take us into a new dimension each time! Pink Floyd rocks!

From "Five-point Someone" by Chetan Bhagat(dont remember the exact thing) -
"The thing 'bout Vodka and Pink Floyd is that they sound better with every drink, its like the singers designed it for alcohol. Like Samosa-Chutney, Rajma-Chawal, Vodka and Pink Floyd are in a combo-class of their own!"
High Hopes - the lyrics

Beyond the horizon of the place we lived when we were young
In a world of magnets and miracles
Our thoughts strayed constantly and without boundary
The ringing of the division bell had begun

Along the Long Road and on down the Causeway
Do they still meet there by the Cut

There was a ragged band that followed in our footsteps
Running before time took our dreams away
Leaving the myriad small creatures trying to tie us to the ground
To a life consumed by slow decay

The grass was greener
The light was brighter
With friends surrounded
The night of wonder
Looking beyond the embers of bridges glowing behind us
To a glimpse of how green it was on the other side
Steps taken forwards but sleepwalking back again
Dragged by the force of some inner tide

At a higher altitude with flag unfurled
We reached the dizzy heights of that dreamed of world

Encumbered forever by desire and ambition
There's a hunger still unsatisfied
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon
Though down this road we've been so many times

The grass was greener
The light was brighter
The taste was sweeter
The nights of wonder
With friends surrounded
The dawn mist glowing
The water flowing
The endless river
Forever and ever

No comments: