December 24, 2007

Remains of A Distant Time, A Distant Land

I am in one of those lows, not of depression of anxiety, but one of nostalgia. Sounds weird? Strangely nostalgia always gives me a low instead of a high. Memories from the past, all happy of course, but memories that reminds of the good old days when life was more easier to deal with, friends all around to give you support and such. Good times those.

Another strange thing is that Ilayaraja songs always makes me a little sad in the midst of all the high I get from listening to his orchestration or bass works. One such song - 'Kadhalin Deepam Onru' sparked off the nostalgia - days of my psenti sem when my sidie and I would sit and listen to all the Ilayaraja classics, trying to figure out the bass lines and admiring Ilayaraja's genius. Good times those.

Vellai Pura - An absolute genius of a song in terms of musical arrangement, a brilliant bass line, and the most amazing lyrics I have ever heard. This song has so many memories: of SKY, rag, fifth year psenti sem, DD, drunken calls and lots.

I am listening to 'Anjali Anjali' from the movie Anjali. This is another classic from Ilayaraja, that always makes me feel that I am soaring up in the sky to be pulled down again and again. Another such song is 'Raja Raja Chozhan'. The orchestral arrangements in Ilayaraja's songs always makes me feel a little low! I wonder whether there's anything wrong with me.

This was another random post. Just felt like writing.

PS: Yesudas' voice is something to die for. Period.

PPS: I have promised myself to write a longer post - a retrospective, reminiscent one and I intend to keep that promise. All in good time though.

Good times those.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You hit too close to home when you talk about nostalgia induced by music. Nice to know there is company
cheers :)